Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crossing borders

It's not always easy for a Canadian author to get publicity in the United States. It is, after all, the world's largest media market. And there's lots of American writerly talent to satisfy the need.

That's why I was thrilled to get a note from Cleveland's Lake Erie Living magazine a few weeks back. They'd come across the book, and were interested in including some information on it in an upcoming issue.

It was also satisfying on another level: even though Lake Erie Stories is a Canadian title, I felt I really couldn't tell the lake's story properly without including stories from the lake's American shores. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York all border on Lake Erie, and the lake's American coastline is heavily populated. I was thrilled that the book seemed to be gaining traction there.

Anyway, Lake Erie Living published its take on Lake Erie Stories this week. You can read it on the magazine's web site by clicking here.

5 comments:

Andrew Slade said...

One of the best recent books about Lake Superior is "The Wolf's Head: Writing Lake Superior." The content is totally binational, but it's really unavailable in the US. I hope you have good distribution on the US side...that will make all the difference.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chad, so happy to hear of your new book. Congratulations. I also was pleased to see that you feature the Defining Canada blog (Dundurn Press) on your site, because its latest profile is of me and my new book, "Memories of The Beach:Reflections on a Toronto Childhood" being released this April. Are you familiar with the Toronto Beaches area? Anyhow hopefully we can meet and talk shop. We live in Markham now and would love to hear from you. Sincerely, Lorraine O'Donnell Williams, lorwill@sympatico.ca

Chad Fraser said...

Thanks, Andrew. I read "The Wolf's Head" while on a camping trip a couple of summers ago (on Georgian Bay -- unfortunately life keeps thwarting my attempts to make it up to Superior). Peter Unwin is a superb storyteller, and the book is very well researched.

debgraafsma said...

Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your wonderful book. I look forward to reading it. Blessings, Debbye
debgraafsma.wordpress.com

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I am glad for your good fortune on your new book. I wish it great sales. As a struggling to be published writer, I can only imagine how it must feel to be published but worry about no one hearing about it. High sales, Roland