Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Inking the stock

In an effort to get out of my head and change the scene from the desk I've been welded to for the last few months, I have entered a sort of self-imposed exile from the city and returned to the homeland -- near Point Pelee National Park. My parents have a little place here.

Last night I fell asleep to the chirping of crickets and the gentle slapping of a mostly becalmed Lake Erie. This morning I woke up feeling somewhat re-energized.

After a short run to the gates of the park and back to get my blood moving, I hopped on a friend's borrowed bicycle and headed to Pelee Wings Nature Store, where the owner has been very supportive of Lake Erie Stories, and has moved many a copy this summer.

One of the fun things about being an author is that you get to go into stores and essentially vandalize your books with your signature. Clerks require almost no proof that you are who you say you are, which I've always found amusing, and this simple act does make a difference in terms of sales. At Chapters, for instance, they'll place a "signed by author" sticker on the cover and face the books out, making them much more visible on an ultra-packed shelf.

Today, however, I was blown away to see that all of Pelee Wings' stock, save one copy, which was reserved for a friend of the owner, had sold over the last couple of weeks. Extra-satisfied, I signed it, stuck around for a bit of a chat, and saddled up.

Looks like exile is off to a pretty good start.

No comments: