Friday, June 27, 2008

Launched

I awoke a bit more bleary-eyed than usual this morning. The coffeemaker was switched on just as soon as I could make my way out to it, but it is early afternoon and its life-enhancing effect is only just beginning to kick in.

The occasion was the Toronto launch of Lake Erie Stories at the Victory Cafe last night. And what a night it was; we had about forty people show up, sold a bunch of books (though many attendees, sweetly, came with their own copies), and I got to take a crack at doing a reading, my first one, before moving on to hors d'oeuvres and imported beer. All in all, a successful evening.

A book launch is in many ways like a wedding. Speeches are made, glasses clink together in celebration. And then, of course, there is the interesting mix of people; as I surveyed the room, I noticed (and eavesdropped on) lots of curious conversations: my editor chatting up my parents, my coworkers hanging out with my wife Amy's family. My real-estate agent chatting with, well, everybody.

And at the core of it all, when you get right down to it, is good food and drink. Both were available in abundance, thanks to the good folks at the Vic.

The last few stragglers (us) bled out onto the street around eleven. After stuffing the fridge with leftover pakoras and mini-hamburgers, we collapsed onto the bed, utterly spent. Hence our current state.

So chalk up yet another promotional event on the unofficial author tour. What's next? There are more ideas currently in the hopper for southern Ontario (stay tuned for more on those), hopefully a few reviews, and maybe even a media interview or two.

But for now, I'll settle for another cup of coffee.

No comments: