Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Over the page

Well, for the 26th and hopefully final time, I'm done. I've just spent the last three days going over the final proofs for the Lake Erie manuscript. This round of changes is it for me, then it's off to the printer. Then the market (meaning you good people, hopefully) can be the judge. I look forward to hearing what you think, and learning what worked and what didn't, starting in May.

Hopefully you won't be shy about telling me.

My friend Hadley, who has writing cred to spare (click here for more on her first novel) often compares this process to giving birth. And it's true. Except, based on my admittedly very limited knowledge of giving birth, I'd say it could be even more painful and nerve-racking.

In any case, after four years' work, that's pretty much that. Meantime, much has happened around these parts. On February 20, a terrible fire took out a number of historical buildings just north of here on Queen Street, putting a number of unfortunate residents and small businesses quite literally out of house and home. I could both see and smell it from my office.

There has also been the story of record snowfalls in southwest Ontario this year, which should be a boon for lake levels this summer after some rather scary drops last year that made parts of the Great Lakes look more like the Great Wetlands (click here for more on last year's levels).

It's definitely a cue to start thinking about the rapidly approaching paddling season. And with no other big projects on the horizon, I can hardly wait.

No comments: