Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Homeward bound

And on the eve of Monday, November 12, 2007, it was finished. Three and a half years and 70,994 words from its humble beginnings as an idea for a little book about Pelee Island, Lake Erie: Struggle and Survival on a Freshwater Ocean staggered, with her final ounce of strength, over the finish line. She is now a fully formed manuscript.

It's not quite all done, mind you. There will be a good bit of back-and-forth between me and the editorial staff about proposed changes to the copy, and I still have to order, or scan myself, about a dozen or so archival images; and of course there will be marketing to do, mainly in the form of signings and readings. But I can at last say that the final word has been conceived, formed, and thrust upon the page (or monitor, as it were).

Phew.

The Dundurn Press spring catalogue is slated to come out in early December. Thereupon, I will be able to show you the cover.

Stay tuned.

No comments: