Monday, October 15, 2007

The handover

The Lake Erie book recently passed an important milestone: we have made it through "substantive editing" (with great thanks to my editor, Tony Hawke at Dundurn Press), and now we're on to the shorter strokes, or copy editing. This is essentially where all my boneheaded typos, disorganized prose, missing information, and other issues are sorted out. Think "polishing."

It's a big hurdle to have cleared, especially for a manuscript that's not quite written yet (I'm still working on the introduction). And while I'm dying to tell you all about what's in it, contractually I probably can't. But there will be lots of what Lake Erie's famous for, as you can probably guess: shipwrecks, tales of rumrunning, lighthouses, settlers struggling to carve out a life for themselves in unforgiving frontier country. Stuff like that. But I hope to throw a few curveballs your way, too. Like the time when ... well, sorry. You'll have to wait for '08. May to be precise.

Except for this little bit: If you haven't read it already, you can find an excerpt that I've posted online here.

No comments: